The history of Glenville High School began in the early 1900's, when the school opened it's doors on Parkwood Drive in Cleveland, Ohio. The neighborhood at that time was predominately Jewish and Eastern European immigrants. The area enjoyed many years of upper middle class notoriety.
As the school aged, it's student body increased and the neighborhood changed.
By the mid 1960's construction began on a new Glenville High School.
In September 1966 the new Glenville opened it's doors at 650 E. 113 Street.
The old Glenville was converted to Franklin D. Roosevelt Jr. High and has since been torn down to make room for new residential housing. As a new school, it
was state of the art and beautiful to behold. In fact, the plan was popular enough
to be duplicated on the southeast side of town.
Glenville had a student body made up of a racially diverse mix; which was a result of busing. The sports and other programs continued to thrive, but were fewer
in numbers due to the adverse financial situation the Cleveland Public Schools experiencd; However, the proud tradition of exellence in academics and athletics
continued. The "Tarblooder" spirit is still alive at Glenville High School.
What is a "Tarblooder?" It is a football battle cry that started during the 1940's, indicating that the members of the Glenville team would whack the "tar" and "blood" from its opponents. Thus, our colors are red and black. The team mascot symbol is a cross between a robot and a tin man derived from the imagination of
a former Glenville student.